- · Respect – how the client is addressed:
– Do not interrupt client while eating for the administration of medications, such as oral inhalers and eye drops;
– Do not awaken client to administer a medication that could be scheduled or administered at other times;
– Inform client about the procedure that is about to be performed;
– Answer client’s question about medication.
- · Refusal – client has the right to refuse medications (7th “right”):
– Never force a client to take a medication
– Follow the facility’s policy and procedure when a client refuses medications (policy and procedure ensures that physician is notified in a timely manner based on client’s physical and mental condition and the medication.
- · Privacy – being away from the public:
– Knock on closed doors before entering
– Do not administer medications when client is receiving personal care or in the bathroom.